Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chalkboards...Not Just for the Classroom Anymore

It is said that every artist has their favored medium...mine is a chalkboard...I know - a little unconventional, a little old-school.

First off I just want to say that I use the term 'artist' very loosely in referring to myself.  I attend a church chock full of the real-deal type and we benefit from their works (music, media, and hand crafted displays) constantly.

I often look at their fruits and wish that I had that gifting or skill set...but I don't.  What I do have is a love for words...spoken and written.  When I was a kid I read everything...like the sides of cereal boxes before it was cool to asses nutritional labels.  Reading beyond product packaging taught me that words are the vehicles to carry stories and emotions and ideas to others...an inspiring art form in and of themselves.

So when I am busy fluffing the feathers of my little nest, making it a cozy place for my family, or sprucing it up to reflect the season or holiday, and I am feeling artsy...I pull out one of my chalkboards and decorate with words.

Sometimes my chalkboard is propped against the back splash in my kitchen with the Sunday dinner menu  posted...at other times words like Give Thanks or Celebrate are the decoration.  My chalkboards have also held Bible verses reminding my little chicks (and their mom) to 'not grow weary in doing good' or that the Lord knows the plans He has for them.

Chalkboards are an easy medium to work with...they are relatively inexpensive, they can be easily moved from room to room for display and if you make a mistake in the creative process you can just wipe the slate clean (pun intended) and begin again...really nice for those perfectionist types ;).  They are also perfect for those of us who actually like change and get easily bored with the same old stuff to look at...the possibilities are limitless...you can change your 'font' and chalk color to suit your mood or the season.

Oh and I just thought of this idea (wish it would have occurred to me when my girls were small) for those of you with little ones.  Go to a craft store and buy each of your kids their own little wood framed chalkboard and an inexpensive easel to display it on.  Give then a piece of chalk and let them create.  Instead of a bunch of paper stuck on your fridge proudly display their creations this way...allowing them to change it daily or weekly or whenever the mood may strike your budding artist.  When they are old enough to read and write have them write a favorite word or quote from a story book or a Bible verse they are memorizing increasing their vocabulary and inspiring their little minds.

If you're looking to try something new give chalkboards a shot...I have had compliments on this art form from college girls and middle-aged moms alike.  Feel free to start by using what is currently on one of my chalkboards...I borrowed it from 1st Corinthians 13...

Our Family is patient and kind,
We don't envy or boast,
We aren't proud,
We aren't rude, self-seeking or easily angered.
We keep no record of wrongs.
We don't delight in evil but rejoice with truth.
We always protect, trust, hope and persevere.

Serving Him and you,
~Michelle...ApronGirl


No comments:

Post a Comment