Monday, March 16, 2009

Cherish the Moments

Two weeks ago my husband received some bad news in the way of lab results. This is nothing new for us. Frankly the doctors didn't think my husband would still be with us at this point. We fondly refer to him as the Miracle Man. Apparently the Great Physician had plans that the doctors didn't know about.

Although we have lived for 8 years knowing that my husband has a non-treatable illness, his results did take us a little by surprise. He says he feels pretty good, he looks pretty good :) and he is still working to support our family and busy in ministry. On paper, his situation is a little disconcerting but we are remembering that the Lord is the sustainer of his life.

One good thing that comes from news like this is the reminder that tomorrow is promised to no man. I, along with my husband and daughters, learned a long time ago not to take even the simplest things for granted. Things like time together, a sunset, or birthdays. But the longer we've gone past the experts estimation of my husbands life span, the more we've lost the appreciation of the ordinary. This news made me wake up and smell the coffee and even enjoy the decaf version of life...you know - the days that don't have the extra caffeine zing! :)

We received some sad news last week. Friends of ours lost their young adult son to an accidental death. My oldest daughter is friends with their youngest son, my husband and I have admired and enjoyed this mom and dad. Our hearts break for them.

This entry is not meant to drag you down with the challenges and grief that this life holds, but rather to encourage us all to enjoy each day and every one we love just as they come. This week, let us all take time to smell the coffee so to speak, whether it comes in some exotic coffee house blend or a generic grocery store can. Thank God for the obvious blessings in life, ask Him to help you see the ones hidden in the mundane or challenging situations. Hug your husband and your kids and tell them you love them, really love them!

2 comments:

  1. I love the coffee analogy! I like my coffee exotic, but my days to be grocery-store-can. :) Unfortunately, my life is the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the coffee analogy...I'm upwardly mobile because of it and it's life sustaining for me (okay, so Jesus is our sustainer, but He sure made some great things to help us here on earth). Praise the Lord we serve that He knows how we feel going through these seasons of life. Hugs and prayers for the family...yours and your friends. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete