Wednesday, October 12, 2011

If It's Not One Thing...it's Life

Hey there...boy has it been awhile since I've fired off a blog post!  Sheesh, seems like I've just been busy, busy, busy!  I am sure all you gals can relate to that.  Seems like we are pretty dang busy most of the time anyway...but then there are certain seasons that just seem to make us feel like we are chasing our tails...and when those seasons overlap with the fall season and some rain - well then that stinkin' RA of mine kicks up and I am more tired than usual and my fingers seem to freeze up and the stuff I attempt to type just isn't suitable for reading!

That was long winded and sounds a bit like whining...don't mean it to...just trying to quickly explain my 2+ week hiatus from the blogging world in case you missed me. :)

Some of that extra busyness was just regular life that bunched up all at once...but part of that busyness was celebrating my younger daughter's Sweet 16 birthday!!  Not sure how my baby Lopey got to be 16 so quickly but I sure am glad that we got to celebrate her!

And boy did we have fun!  She is such a sweet girl...unless she is in a Debate Match - then they call her the Hidden Beast...but that's a whole other story!  Back to the sweet girl's sweet 16.  When my husband and I asked her what she wanted for her birthday she said that she wanted to have a birthday dinner with her 'away at college' big sister.  So, lucky for us, the Joyster was out of class at 6:20 the evening of Lopey's actual birthday.  We drove out to her college town, picked her up as she walked out of class and headed to her little sister's favorite restaurant for dinner.

Aren't the sisters cute?  Lopey is the one on the right with, what her sister refers to as, geek-sheek glasses! :)  We had a great time visiting and feasting on her favorite Italian food...which comes from a restaurant with olive in it's name but a graphic of grapes next to it on the left-overs bag...weird and random I know (and I had never noticed it before this) but don't you think an olive branch would be more appropriate? Just sayin'

OK, back to the birthday girl.  A couple of Saturday's later we had a little party for her.  The girls don't get a real 'themed' party for their birthdays every year - just the special ones...like 10 (cuz that's double digits) and 13 (officially a teenager) and Sweet 16 of course! :)  Anyway, we had to wait a couple of weeks to throw the shin-dig because she wanted her big sister to be there of course...and with her sister's schedule it took a couple of weekends to find a Saturday night open.  Lopey thought it was worth the wait to have her there!

The theme that she chose was A Masquerade!  Over the years I have pulled off  Barbie and Winnie-the-Pooh parties, tea parties, ballerina parties, jungle adventure themes and even a retro 60's beach party bash (in January in Idaho), but I wasn't quite sure what to do with a masquerade theme.  Thankfully the Lord gave me some creative inspiration and the birthday girl had some ideas of her own!

We kept her party small this year...just a few friends from church plus the Joyster of course.  We decided to get out the fine china, silver and crystal (I think the girls forgot I had this stuff it had been so long since I had the time and energy to use it) and have a dinner party...you guessed it - Italian themed.

The guests were asked to come in their dressy duds and after dinner, they created their own masks, played a couple of homemade mystery games and ended the evening by watching Phantom of the Opera...one of the birthday girls favorite musicals and fitting for the theme...while eating killer chocolate cake naturally!  (On a side note, I was never a big fan of chocolate until I was pregnant with this one...and it's her only dessert of choice).




The evening was full of good friends, good food and good times!  It seemed to go by as quickly as the past 16 years have!

To my Sweet 16 year old...I love you...you are amazing...smart and a deep thinker...beautiful inside and out...a sense of humor and funny moves that leave my sides aching...and a love for Jesus and others that blesses me so....I am so happy to be your mommy! :)

To my reader...that's for putting up with huge gaps in my blogging as I live life with my family...and thanks for indulging me as I talk about them! :)

Serving Him and you,
~Michelle...ApronGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment