Friday, March 23, 2012

Life is Beautifully Messy - Part 2

Hey there! So last week I posted Life is Beautifully Messy - Part 1...scroll down to the March 14th entry if you haven't read it...where I talked about the Beautiful part...

Today comes the Messy...I know that doesn't sound as fun as what we talked about last week, but just hang in there with me, please! :)

Speaking of hanging...that's were the inspiration for this part of the message came from...last week's post came from a clothing tag that had made camp on my desk...this one comes from a sign that hangs next to my desk.

It's a cute little metal sign (if I had a decent camera I'd take a picture and post it) in the shape of an apron with little flowers and pockets...pockets which state...

Life is Messy ~ Wear Your Apron

To this I say, "True...so true...and - have you been watching me in my kitchen :/ ?"  I really don't get some of those gals on the Cooking Channel - slicing and dicing, whipping and blending - all while beautifully dressed (in outfits that probably have a 'dry clean only' tag inside) and no apron in sight.  They seem to come out splatter free...but for me, apron-free cooking is just nonsense...I become fully engaged in the activity...and drips and splatters often occur.

This should probably be on my kitchen wall!

But really, I need my aprons...I love my aprons...who doesn't love a cute apron?  Not only are they practical and adorable but they are Biblical too!!

 
These aren't mine (I require full coverage) but aren't they cute?!

They are biblical not only in the sense that Aprons are like Love in that they both cover a multitude of sin ;) (1 Peter 4:8) but the Bible refers to aprons directly and metaphorically in more than one instance.

But before I go into any Biblical reference to aprons let's just take a look at the Life is Messy part of my cute little sign.  The fact of the matter is that this is a true statement...even outside of my kitchen! 

Life is Messy due to a bad decision made at the very beginning of time.  Because of that we live in a fallen world where bad decisions continue to be made by ourselves and others...where disasters of the natural and man-made sort catch us off guard on a regular basis...where sin and selfishness abound...where feelings are hurt, promises are broken, jobs are lost, health is challenged, and sanity, at times, is held onto by our fingernails.

Gosh, that last paragraph is a bit depressing, isn't it?  Oh, Lord, do we need an Apron for the Messiness of Life!  Thankfully He has one for us! 

The apron supplied to us by God, to protect us from the messiness of life, is listed in it's bits and pieces, along with a few other helpful tools, in Ephesians 6:10-18.  Oh I know, most people refer to this as the Armor of God, but armor and aprons do have a couple of things in common!

Armor and Aprons both cover and protect!  In fact I have done teachings on the Armor of God in the past using an apron, chef's hat, pot holder and knife for the visual aids.  Read the following portion of scripture and try to image what that might look like. :)

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.   In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit,which is the Word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.

Can you see yourself in your armor/apron get-up?  What stood out to you as you read through these verses?  For me, beyond the actual description and need for the armor, was the call to 'put on' and 'take up'...that requires intentional action on my part!

Life indeed is Messy...God in His grace has provided us with full defensive protection as well as a weapon of offense to protect ourselves from what will surely present itself time and time again in our lives - attacks of the enemy.

But if we don't take the time to acquaint ourselves with what is at our disposal...and make sure we apply it...God's Armor does us about as much good as my pretty aprons do when I just let them hang decoratively in my kitchen instead of tying one on.

Life is Beautifully Messy!  We have so many blessings and things to be thankful for because of all that Jesus has done for us...all that God has provided for us!  We also have to be aware and prepared for the challenges and pitfalls of life...won't you join me in being more deliberate to apply the armor that God has freely given us?

Serving Him and you,
~Michelle...ApronGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment