Monday, March 12, 2012

A Verse to Chew On

Since I am a "wee bit o'Irish" and this week holds St. Patrick's Day in it's line-up, I thought I would give us A Verse to Chew On that would be a great reminder that we don't need to catch a little leprechaun or find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to have all our desires met!

No, we have something much more tangible and defiantly more reliable to put our hope and trust in...

Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD, trust Him and He will act.
Psalm 37:4-5

This was the first 'grown-up' verse that I studied and memorized and applied to my life.  By 'grown-up' I mean it wasn't one of those required Sunday School verses of my childhood like John 3:16 & Psalm 23.  Those are powerful verses and should be planted in one's heart and studied and applied.  But they were fed to me.  This verse I found all on my own [with direct help from the Holy Spirit of course :) ] when I was just about the same age that my first born is now...it spoke to me (probably the first time in my life that had happened) and I had to learn more about it...what did it mean and how should I apply it to my life?

Some of the questions I asked myself then...and I think we should ask our selves now as we chew on it are...

~Do you think this verse means that God will give us everything that we want?
~How do you think the Lord defines the 'desires of your heart'?
~What do you think it means to 'delight yourself in the Lord"?
~What part(s) of your life to you need to 'commit' to God that you haven't?...is there any area that you aren't trusting Him with?
~How does it make you feel to know that if you keep the conditions of this verse, (delight, commit, trust), that God promises to act on your behalf with your best interest in mind?

As you chew on this verse over the week take time to look up some of the key words...you don't have to have Vine's Expository Dictionary of Bible Words at your disposal, Webster's will be just fine...and see if the definitions of some common words make a difference in how you relate to this portion of scripture.

Praying that your week will be filled with many wonderful Jesus moments! :)

Serving Him and you,
~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment