Monday, April 6, 2009

A Verse to Chew On - Radiant Beauty

"When Moses came down from Mt. Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord." Exodus 34:29 (Italics-mine)

More than ever before American women are bombarded with tools to help them in their pursuit of ageless beauty. There are creams to reduce the crinkles. Bangs or Botox to help with saggy foreheads. Lip plumpers, cosmetics and chemical peels. There are products and procedures that I can neither pronounce or spell. Their purpose is all the same - to help women look younger and feel more beautiful. I have no problem with this, within reason. I 'grease' myself up before bed, apply 'paint' before exposing myself in public and spend a fair amount of time arranging my bangs to cover a multitude of 'sins'. There are a few other things that I might try to if I weren't such a chicken! =]

I think Moses was on to something that the beauty industry has no clue about. Our Verse to Chew On declares that he had a face that was 'radiant'. Isn't that what so many of us want? Moses' radiance didn't come from an external application however. No, his radiance came from time with the Lord! He was not even aware of the difference in his appearance - but those around him noticed. Moses had a radiance that was more than skin deep.

I don't know about you, Sister~Friend, but I want a glow like that. And not just so that I can look younger and feel more beautiful, (although that wouldn't hurt =]). Instead, I want this radiance because of the nature of it's Source. Moses glowed because he had 'spoken with the Lord'. Now, he had come fresh from a 40 day mountain top adventure where he had the awesome experience of receiving the Ten Commandments. We will never have that specific experience with the Lord, but even in the midst of the ordinary of our lives we can have the extraordinary of God!

Ladies, we begin and end our day in front of the mirror. We can also begin and end our day at the feet of Jesus in the mirror of His Word. God can use His Word to show us who we are in Christ, to speak the truth into our lives and let us know how much He loves us. There is nothing more beautiful than a woman who knows her Father, is in love with Jesus and filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I want to be the type of woman who radiates the presence of the Lord. Not because I am vainly looking for a Divine face lift, but because I desire a relationship so intimate with the Lord that I reflect His goodness to others. I am going to leave you with a few more words to chew on. These were told to me by a friend...she actually had them painted around her daughter's mirror. "Outward beauty fades away. Clothes wear out and hair turns gray. Make your heart a quiet place, where God plants beauty on your face.".

As you chew on this verse answer these questions...Can you think of someone you know who's appearance reflects the fact that she spends time with the Lord? Moses' radiance came from 40 days alone with God - in what ways can we experience time alone with the Lord each day? Besides a change in our countenace what are other advantages to being in relationship with God? Please feel free to share your responses here for others to chew on. =]

2 comments:

  1. You know, Michelle, your beautiful reminder brought to mind how my relationship with Jesus is so much more today than it was a year ago from today. I can only hope I have the "high pro glow" and reflect what Jesus has done in our lives. I'm sure we won't need Oil of Olay when we get to heaven :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely drawn to people who spend quality time with Jesus. They have an in-n-out glow that only He can give.

    ReplyDelete