Friday, May 8, 2009

A Verse to Chew On - Sharing Secrets

I had a brief conversation, this last weekend, with a gal who had a self professed 'good life' and yet confided in me, that she had a lack of contentment.

As she spoke I immediately thought of Philippians 4:12. Here Paul states, " I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty, I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (emphasis-mine)

So - what is Paul's secret?

I think Brother Lawrence may have been on to something when he stated, "God won't allow a soul that is searching for Him to be comforted anywhere other than with Him" (from the book The Practice of the Presence of God)

Paul goes on to say, in Phil. 4:13, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Jesus said in John 15:5, "I am the vine and you are the branches...apart from me you can do nothing."

Not even find contentment ? ! .

Jesus also said that the 1st and greatest commandment is to Love the Lord our God with all of our heart, soul and mind. (see Matthew 22:37)

Psst - I think I know the secret! Only by completely loving the Lord and choosing to remain in Him, (see John 15:5), can we find a contentment that supersedes our circumstances and situations.

What does that type of Love relationship with God look like to you?

1 comment:

  1. We are the best of friends because we both know who Brother Lawrence is.

    And... what does that type of Love relationship with God look like to me? Starting every morning with Him. How could I survive the day on my own? He makes everything beautiful! Thanks for the post. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete