Friday, June 5, 2009

Backyards, Birds and Blessings


Yesterday I spent 4 hours + in my backyard, (and front yard for that matter), mowing and weeding, watering and pruning - blah, blah, blah...


This morning I decided to have breakfast in my backyard! My husband was off to work and my two terrific teen aged daughters were still sleeping upstairs, (as well they should on this 2nd day of summer vacation), so I poured another cup of coffee, fixed a plate of eggs and toast and settled myself to enjoy the fruit of yesterday's labor.
It was so much fun...and refreshing. I sat there and appreciated how nicely the fresh mowed lawn looked, (I am the type that also appreciates the vacuum marks on the carpet - they just don't last as long =]!), marvelled at the abundant production of roses on my bushes, (I am a 'grace gardener' - any good that comes out of my feeble attempts are a grace gift from the Master Gardener), enjoyed the obtuse beauty of storm clouds moving through the valley, (and the cooler temperatures they provide), and connected with the words of the psalmist...

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

The beauty of this day, and His creation that surrounded me, was the catalyst that made this verse resonate within my soul. But you know what? As I sat there praising the Lord for who He is and what He has created, I realized that every day is one that He has made...even the days that are too hot or too cold to be able to sit on the back patio and enjoy, the way I was enjoying this morning.

David was the author of this particular psalm and according to the footnotes in my NIV Study Bible, he penned this verse after a deliverance from his enemies. After proclaiming this day as a work of the Creator's hand, David goes on to give us a command, of sorts. He says 'let us rejoice and be glad in it'. That implies that we have a choice as to whether or not we are going to enjoy each day that the Lord gives us. You might be thinking that this statement was easy enough for David to make, having recently experienced God's deliverance from his enemies, but what if you are right in the middle of something yucky...how can we possibly rejoice and be glad in a day like that?

Good question! The notes in my Bible go on to say that this psalm was mostly likely sung by Jesus and His disciples at the conclusion of the Last Supper, (see Matthew 26:30). His disciples didn't know what the rest of that day held, and probably sang this song in the same manner that they had Passover after Passover. But Jesus knew exactly what that day would hold for Him. Not pleasant...more like extremely painful...but He still chose to rejoice and be glad in it. Why? - Because He knew that what He was about to go through was necessary and He was well aware of the good that would come out of it. (His suffering on the cross brought our salvation - if nothing else, this is something that we can find joy in, in even the stinkiest of days).

As I sat on my patio with our dog Charity at my feet, I heard the songs of the birds all around me. We have had many make our backyard their home. Robins regularly nest here and one summer a Mallard duck and his Mrs. moved in. As I listened to the various melodies another verse popped into my heart...
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. Psalm 81:10b
Just like the baby Robins open their beaks to be fed and filled by their parents, our Heavenly Father wants us to open up to His sustenance. Weather our day, metaphorically speaking, is as lovely as today or hot, dry and parched or stormy and dark, God is there. He will care for us just like I've seen the birds in my backyard care for their own. If we open the 'mouths' of our soul to Him, He will fill it with praise, any wisdom that we need, comfort and peace. The Bible is filled over and over again with God's promises to be with us, provide for us, comfort and guide us. Come what may the Lord will be forever faithful...now that is something to rejoice and be glad in!


5 comments:

  1. The kids are with their dad this weekend. When they leave, I feel emptiness at the pit of my stomach, and it always takes me a few minutes of teary eyes to shake it off. God is teaching me to be content and still in Him. I'm a mom, yes, but motherhood isn't my identity, so having my babies gone for the weekend every other, doesn't strip me of who I am (this is what I accept in faith...I don't feel it yet). I try and incorporate a little bit of "me" development when they're gone. I'm trying for a girls' night out with a couple of girlfriends tonight that may or may not happen. But one thing I do know: My backyard is in desperate need of attention. Maybe I'll spend some time out there this afternoon, and then in the morning, have breakfast outside, just like you! Danielle, the teen that moved in with me, will be here, and it might be a special time for the two of us. Your words refreshed me. I love you so much, and I grab at you from afar, as I flail about sometimes...even though when I open my mouth for you, no words come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to cherish the little things that you see...even the vacuum cleaner lines in the rug (although it's a visual of accomplishment, so I get it =]). Rain, 50mph wind, and sunshine inbetween, I hope these little moments remind us of all that He has made.Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that every day is praise worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just a reminder that we can find good in EVERY day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dear friend! Sorry its been so long since we spoke. Just returned from a week of camp with Samantha and 40 other 13 year old girls...need I say more. God's presence, guidance, and peace was there as I experienced all the non comforts of home! Because they were big on conservaton, Camp's rule for bathroom was "if its yellow let it mellow" What a week of and a time to humble myself before the Lord. So very thankful to have had that opportunity. In His Love, Maria

    ReplyDelete