Monday, June 8, 2009

A Verse To Chew On - Ironing Out the Wrinkles

It's Monday, and those who know me know that today is all about Laundry. Some might think that this is a horrible way to begin one's week, but I disagree. In fact I love laundry day. Well, I don't actually love doing laundry, but frankly it's the one day a week that I have real sense of accomplishment! =]

As a stay-at-home-mom my laundry basket became the equivilent of what my 'in-basket' was when I worked. The only difference is that this new basket was never empty at the end of each day! Looking for tangible evidence of productivity in my new career choice, I chose to set aside one day a week to tackle this job. Living in a busy apartment complex at the time, Monday became my target day for this task as it was the day of lowest usage in the community laundry room, (it pays to do your research!). I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that came with an empty laundry basket at the end of each Monday so much that this ritual is still in place 16 years later. Not only is the 'in-basket' empty, (at least until bedtime), but I don't have to think about this job again for another week!

As soon as my girls were old enough to learn their colors, they became my Administrative Assistants. They sort their laundry into appropriate piles, fold what needs folding and hang up what goes in their closets. But ironing, that's all mine!!! Yes, I iron...even jeans...and I do use spray starch when needed. Some may find this a behavior that they feel needs 'treatment', I on the other hand find this chore therapeutic. An ironed garment provides for me the same sense of satisfaction as the vacuum marks on a carpet or a fresh mowed lawn, (like I talked about last week). There is just something that feels so good about seeing those wrinkles magically disappear when the heat and steam of an iron are applied.

You may be wondering what in the world all this rambling about a domestic chore has to do with our weekly Verse To Chew On. I'm getting to that.

I don't know about you, Sister~Friend, but my life is wrinkly...sometimes more that others...and I wish for a good 'ironing out'. You know what I've found? -the Lord provides that very thing!

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

This verse is both scary and full of hope for me. The thought of having the Lord go to work on the wrinkles of my life may not be a pretty thing, but the thought of having things ironed out are worth it! Maybe I'm the only one...I kind of think not...that gets into a funky mood and can't figure out what the deal is. This isn't for a lack of trying, but with all the busyness and variables of life, I just can't get to the bottom of why I feel or react as I do at times. Day in and day out we go through the spin cycle of life and are tumbled through, often with the drying temp. set on 'high'. And you know what?...God doesn't make us permanent press!

When we make the above portion of scripture our prayer God can not only show us why the wrinkles are in our lives but in His love he can work on removing them. Sometimes God has shown me that my funky wrinkles are due to worry, other times sin and still other times the bothers of hormones. The Creator of the universe, who created each one of us individually, knows exactly what is wrong with us before we even invite Him to take a look. Inviting the Lord to examine us is like jumping up on the ironing board. When we become involved with Him in the process, not only do the wrinkles begin to disappear but we become more intimately acquainted with Him and experience His love in a new way.

Our wrinkles may not disappear as quickly as they do on my families clothing, but they will. As long as we stay positioned before the Lord, on the ironing board so to speak, He will continue continue to apply the warmth of His love, the steam that comes from the Living Water of His Son Jesus - the Word made flesh, and He will use the spray starch of the Holy Spirit to strengthen us. I do laundry from the time I get up Monday morning until around dinner time. God however, provides a 24/7 laundry service. Any time, day or night that we cry out to Him, He is ready and willing to iron out the wrinkles of our life. I may do laundry only once a week, but I need to place myself before the Divine Iron daily.

As you chew on our verse this week, ask yourself...

1) Am I consistently inviting the Lord to iron out the wrinkles in my life? (Going before Him in an attitude of prayer, listening for Him)

2) What current life wrinkle do I need God's love, His Word and Spirit to iron out for me?

Well, I have to scoot...I hear the dryer buzzing - both literally and figuratively! =]

3 comments:

  1. I love to iron as well. Yep, even my camis and T-shirts. The girls think I'm crazy. And as I mentioned to you in my email, God is really ironing out some awesome stuff in my life.

    (1) He is teaching me to surrender with both hands. Not just hold one hand up to Him and then use my other hand to cling to kids or ministry or anything else. And,

    (2) He is teaching me that He has given me certain spiritual gifts and will use them with great power if -- and only if -- they are used in love.

    I can almost feel the heat of His iron moving back and forth across me, pressing and straightening, and oh -- how good it is going to look!

    Great analogy, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we have both mentioned, I am working on the whole "listening" thing and allowing God to work where he needs to.

    Oh, please don't mention the ironing thing to my hubby. If it were up to him our bed sheets would be ironed! By the way, where is my iron...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...like jumping on the ironing board"--that's perfect!

    ReplyDelete