Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Accidental Win

Last night I was the accidental winner of a food competition!!! No, it wasn't one of those 'who can eat the most in the shortest amount of time' events. This was a cooking event! Are you as shocked as I am? I am a decent cook, but I've never even considered entering any type of competition involving culinary aptitude...thus the previously mentioned phrase accidental winner.

So I imagine that you are waiting with bated breath to hear how this accident actually occurred, (I, obviously, have a vivid imagination). I will keep you in suspense no longer...

My handsome hunk of a man is the director of the Men's Ministry at our home church. This summer our church is hosting several family nights. The Men's Ministry was in charge of last night's event. It was a Camping Expo complete with a BBQ and booths that educated the attendees on every thing from dutch oven cooking to bird watching. There were several competitions through out the evening; a Casting Competition (think fishing poles and hoola hoops), a Tent Stake Driving Race (big tent stakes, mini rubber mallets) and a Chili Cook off!!!

Up until noon yesterday, I had thought that my participation in the Camping Expo would be limited to supporting my husband, helping were needed and enjoying the fellowship with my church family. However, I did detect some concern in my husband when he happened to mention that he only had a couple of chili competitors pre-registered for the event. So, I decided somewhat hesitantly to cook up a pot just to provide the look of a fuller competition table.

Why my hesitation? Well, in 20 years of marriage my husband has cooked up more pots of chili that I have. It's his thing and he probably would have cooked one up to fill out the judges choices if he would have had time. Since he was coordinating the whole event I decided it was time for me to step into the help meet role and give it a shot.

I ran to the store for ingredients, whipped up a pot and had him taste a bite before he headed off to the church ahead of me. I didn't want to put anything on the table that might embarrass the family had the name of the cook leaked out. David assured me it was good...but that man has never complained about anything that I've cooked in the last 20 years - well, with the exception of a pot of sauerkraut during the 1st year, but that's a whole other story!

So imagine my surprise when I heard my name called as the 2nd place winner of the Chili Cook off! Just in case you are wondering, there were more that 2 entries (5 or 6), my husband wasn't the judge nor did he influence the panel, and it was a blind competition (the entries were identified by number and not the name of the cook)! =]

So my 2nd place ribbon is proudly displayed on my refrigerator! I am thrilled with the fact that my chili was 2nd only to a guy who is a professional chef and accident or not that I entered and won, I am going to thoroughly enjoy the honor!

I do have a problem though. My husband has requested this award winning chili recipe for dinner tonight...what exactly did I put in that pot...a little of this, a little of that...

2 comments:

  1. Good job! You could change the name of your blog to "The Accidental Winner" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! As I was reading this, I wondered, "Did she write it down?" Good luck re-creating :)

    ReplyDelete